I have been incredibly busy of late, with more things to do each day than I have time for, it seems. Whoever said that when you are between jobs that you have more time, in my mind at least, had no idea what they were talking about: it simply isn’t true.

I haven’t written much lately, as too much has happened. One event triggered some natural anger, so I deemed it best not to write until the feelings subsided somewhat: I was laid off in mid-September. Let’s just say that the job really didn’t suit me, my talents, or my desires, and that it was time to move on. (Looking for an expert front-end Web coder who excels in XHTML, CSS and jQuery? Contact me!)

Right around that time, my mother-in-law took a bad fall. After 3 weeks in the hospital followed by 6 weeks of rehab in a nursing home, we took her to her home this week.

And we also made a little trip to Washington D.C. to cover Cpl. Joshua Harmon’s interment at Arlington National Cemetery. I shot video and took photos, and afterward I processed the photos; when I was done with the photos, my bride processed the video while I went out on a Photo Safari. The main, uppermost story photo in the story appeared on the front page of the News-Herald, about 8″x5″, above the fold.

The trip to DC created a ton of photographic and video work for me to do, and I barely have time to get it done. If you visit the photo safari link in the last paragraph, there are 170 photos in the series, plus another 50 or so from the funeral, and another 30 or so from puttering around DC for 3 days. I got some work ahead of me.

Then, there was the election, and the election returns coverage at WKYC studios. Some of you saw me on TV that night: I was actually interviewed by Dick Russ about what I saw on Twitter.

The election night experience, as it was the last time we did it, was a lot of fun. Mostly, I watched Twitter and reacted to the news as history unfolded. It was an interesting night, and I have no regrets at all about spending that night in the company of the media instead of being at home.

No regrets, period.

Howard Fencl at WKYC, possibly one of the neatest people I have met in a long time, made sure that we were comfortable and that we had everything we needed to cover the news from an Internet perspective. Everyone at WKYC was attentive and accommodating — hey, they didn’t even raise a fuss when I asked that one of our monitors (there were 9 of them) was switched to CNN!

In short, we had a lot of fun, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

My thanks to everyone at WKYC for making a historical night interesting and memorable!

Leave a Reply