Here’s an interesting piece of trivia: what do all of the following actors and actresses have in common?
Their better-known roles are listed to jog your memory. (If nothing is listed, they’ve been in more roles than Jimmy Carter has peanuts, so you should know who they are.)
- Cliff Robertson (Ben Parker in Spiderman, the movie)
- Burt Metcalfe (producer for M*A*S*H – produced 77 episodes after acting career)
- Donald Pleasence
- Edward C. Platt (“Chief” on Get Smart)
- Robert Culp (I Spy)
- David McCallum (N.C.I.S./The Man from U.N.C.L.E)
- Edward Mulhare (Devon Miles on Knight Rider)
- Martin Landau (Space 1999, The X-Files Movie)
- Martin Sheen (The West Wing, Apocalypse Now)
- Sally Kellerman (M*A*S*H, the movie)
- James V. Sikking (Doogie Howser – Doogie’s father)
- Ivan Dixon (James “Kinch” Kinchloe in Hogan’s Heroes)
- Edward Asner (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
- Ted Knight (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
- Bruce Dern
- Dabney Coleman (Mr. Drysdale on the Beverly Hillbillies)
- Carrol O’Connor (All in the Family)
- Chita Rivera (Chicago, the movie & a zillion other roles)
- Robert Duvall
- Vera Miles
- Sir Cedrick Hardwicke
- Malachi Throne (It Takes a Thief)
- William Shatner
- James Doohan
- Grace Lee Whitney (Star Trek TOS/STNG)
- Michael Ansara (Kang from Star Trek – TOS/STNG/Voyager)
- Eddie Albert
- James Frawley (The Honeymooners)
This list reads like a veritable “Who’s Who of Hollywood,” doesn’t it?
Answer: All of the actors and actresses listed above starred in the original run of the TV series The Outer Limits in the mid-1960s.
While thinking about a blog post for a web site under development, I started thinking about the original Outer Limits TV show and how much I liked both it and the remake from the last decade or so, and thought I’d look it up online.
You couldn’t afford to make a TV show today with all of those people in it (those that are alive, at least).